Location & Timing:
- Plan to arrive at the Quinsam Hatchery grounds @ 9AM; the hatchery is located on Quinsam/Argonaut Rd, which is the first left turn immediately after passing Haig-Brown house.
- We will meet at the parking area on the hatchery grounds, just before the bridge over the small creek. If there are many fishers, some will relocate to the Argonaut Bridge area.
- A valid BC freshwater fishing licence
- Waders and boots
- Wading stick*
- Floatation vest*
- Polarized sunglasses
- Lunch and/or a drink
- A phone or camera to record your catch
*Suggested if you go deep wading.
- Fly rod no heavier that a 6 wt (if possible)
- Floating line with the length of the floating leader plus tippet equal to that of the rod.
- Dry flies (herein lies the rub) ~ there is no way to predict what the fish will want. I don’t know if there is a hatch at this time (I have never noted one). You will need a selection of general flies, such as Tom Thumb, Lady McConnel, Elk Hair Caddis, Griffith’s Gnat, etc. The size should be as small as you are comfortable with, but I suggest no larger than #8.
- Because the river is fairly small, you do not require any long distance casting prowess. However, you must know how to roll cast; most of the casting situations on the river have you with your back to the trees or bushes. Even with some space behind one, a back cast is risky (you don’t need to ask how I know this!)